Tag Archive: Says NGT

Delhi Smog Matter in SC Today; No Review Petition Yet By Kejriwal Govt on Odd-Even, Says NGT

New Delhi, Nov 13: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Monday yet again came down hard on Arvind Kejriwal-led Delhi Government and asked if they were only informing the media about a review petition on the odd-even scheme since no application has been filed as yet.

“Delhi Government has still not moved modification application on NGT on the re-implementation of odd-even scheme. Was govt approaching us or was its minister’s statement for media only,” ANI quoted NGT’s statement.

Meanwhile, the Supreme Court has agreed to hear a fresh plea seeking to curb rising pollution in Delhi-NCR. A bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices A M Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud considered the submission of lawyer R K Kapoor that a rise in dust particles on roads, stubble burning in Delhi’s neighbouring states including Haryana and Punjab have led to an alarming rise in pollution levels in the NCR and its adjoining areas.

“We cannot ignore the pollution,” the bench said adding that it will hear the plea today itself after finishing the matters listed on its board. The fresh plea seeks direction to the Centre and the states concerned to take measures on curbing road dust and stubble burning. It also seeks effective implementation of the odd-even car rationing scheme.

Earlier this week, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government had announced implementation of the odd-even scheme from November 13-17, to tackle the alarming pollution levels in the capital. But it called off the scheme following directive by the NGT, which ordered the withdrawal of all exemptions, including to two-wheeler riders and woman-only vehicles, under the odd-even scheme.

“In light of the the two conditions by NGT on 2 wheelers & women, at the moment we are calling it off. We will go back to NGT on Monday, file a review petition for them to reconsider their decision regarding the two,” Kailash Gehlot, Delhi Transport Minister had said.

The decision to call-off the scheme was taken at a meeting chaired by Arvind Kejriwal and attended by ministers, including Gahlot, Gopal Rai and Imran Hussain