earn everything about #Zika virus
Zika virus (ZIKV) is a member of the Flaviviridae virus family and the Flavivirus genus.
In humans, it initially causes a mild illness known as Zika fever, Zika, or Zika disease.
Zika virus is transmitted by daytime-active mosquitoes and has been isolated from a number of species in the genus Aedes, such as A. aegypti, and arboreal mosquitoes such as A. africanus, A. apicoargenteus, A. furcifer, A. hensilli, A. luteocephalus, and A. vitattus. The vertebrate hosts of the virus are primarily monkeys and humans.
Common symptoms of infection with the virus include mild headaches, maculopapular rash, fever, malaise, conjunctivitis, and joint pains.
Zika virus is enveloped and icosahedral with a nonsegmented, single-stranded, positive-sense RNA genome.
Zika virus is related to dengue, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, and West Nile viruses. The illness it causes is similar to a mild form of dengue fever, is treated by rest, and cannot yet be prevented by drugs or vaccines.
At present outbreak at Brazil – America.
Pathogenesis – Immediate after a bite of mosquito it infect Dendritic cell then to Lymph Node to Blood stream.
Incubation period 2 to 14 days.
Public Health importance —
1. Doesn’t lead to mortality.
2. Mid form not like dengue.
3. Self limiting. Pt. recovers in 7 days.
4. Only symptomatic management – Rehydration, Antipyretic .
5. Complication – post infection GBS. & Microcephaly (infection in 1st trimester.)
6. No transoverian transmission in mosquito.
7. Transmission also by Sexual route. ( Virus Isolated in Semen).
1. Restrict travel to America.
2. No travel in Early pregnancy.
3. Any individuals from America will be watched for fever upto14 days.