Daily Archive: March 24, 2017

Delhi Police rescues 6 women in trafficking raids: DCW

New Delhi, Mar 23 (PTI) Delhi Police conducted raids and rescued six women from a gang involved in human trafficking, a DCW official said.

The raids were conducted last night after two women employee of a Nihal Vihar-located placement agency approached the Delhi Commission for Women, alleging that a husband-wife duo were running the racket.

They alleged that the couple would ask the women they had kept in illegal confinement to “produce children for them to sell”, a DCW official said.

One of the complainants, a 30-year-old woman from Jharkhand told DCW officials that she was brought to Delhi by a man from her village on the pretext of job.

He seized her mobile phone and Aadhaar card and after a few days, dropped her at Arti Placement Agency.

The woman was beaten up by the couple and an agent allegedly raped her for two days, he said.

The other 40-year-old complainant, who hails from West Bengal, told DCW officials that a woman from her native place brought her to the national capital for a better living.

She then abandoned her at the placement agency.

“The two women who approached the Commission said that a few days back, the couple while rushing a pregnant woman to a hospital forgot to bolt the door of their room. Taking advantage of the situation, they managed to flee,” added the DCW official.

The place was raided by Delhi Police last night and six women, including a pregnant woman and another woman with a child, were rescued, claimed the DCW official.

The woman owner of the agency has been arrested on charges of illegal detention, police said today.

The woman’s husband, who is out of town, and the two agents have not been arrested yet, said a senior police officer.

#NEET2017: SC to hear plea for NEET in Urdu today

New Delhi, Mar. 24 (ANI): Taking a step forth towards resolving the controversies surrounding the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test, NEET, The Supreme Court will hear the plea today for conducting NEET in Urdu Language. The plea was filed by the Students Islamic Organisation (SIO) in the month of February 2017 after the forms for NEET 2017 were released on January 31. The student organization has suggested that NEET should be conducted in Urdu. NEET 2017 is being conducted in 8 regional languages along with English and Hindi. The plea seeks inclusion of Urdu language as a medium of instruction for NEET from next session onwards
.
The Centre on March 10 submitted before the apex court that it is open to the idea of conducting NEET exams, a common entrance test for admissions in MBBS and BDS courses across the country, in Urdu from the next session. The Centre, however, said it would be impossible to include the provision for NEET 2017. A plea was filed by the Student Islamic Organisation’s (SIO) seeking inclusion of Urdu as a medium for NEET 2017.

As per the official notification by the Central Broad of Secondary Education (CBSE), the NEET will be held in 10 languages — Hindi, English, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, Oriya and Kannada. March 1 was the last date for the NEET online application and the exams will be conducted on May 7.

NEET, ever since its proposal has been surrounded by controversies. Even after the apex court made the exam mandatory last year, the moment the NEET forms were released this year, varying petitions and controversies have sprung up.

New Education Policy from next academic session unlikely, to take more time: HRD Ministry

New Delhi, Mar 23 (PTI): Even as the HRD Ministry goes on top gear to revamp the education system in the country, the formulation and implementation of Narendra Modi Government’s ambitious project – the New Education Policy is not expected by next academic session. The HRD Minister has confirmed that the plan aimed at revamping the education system is likely to take more time and is unlikely from next academic session. This was in reply to a question asked regarding the implementation of the New Education Policy.

The information was shared by Minister of State for HRD, Mahendra Nath Pandey in response to a written question in Rajya Sabha when asked whether the new education policy is going to be implemented by next academic session. “Presently, the government is in process of formulating a New Education Policy (NEP) and its finalisation is likely to take some time,” the Minister said. The New Education Policy is the central government’s endeavour towards improving the quality of education in the country and revamping the present system. Aim of the same is to improve the quality of education across all levels and also to make the education more skill development oriented.

The HRD Ministry is about to announce a committee to draft the NEP after it decided to junk a similar report from the T S R Subramanian committee. The previous committee had submitted its report to the government in May 2016 suggesting measures that the country must take to improve the sector that caters to over 300 billion students.
The panel had also suggested that the no detention policy be continued for children till the completion of Class V and a child turns 11 and the system of detention must be restored at the upper primary level.

#NEET2017: MP HC permits all aspirants to apply for NEET-2017 regardless of age

The Madhya Pradesh High Court has permitted all the aspirants to apply For NEET-2017 regardless of age. However, the high court has put a condition that the candidates will be bound by the order passed by the Supreme Court or this Court at subsequent stages”. The interim direction was issued during hearing of three petitions challenging the eligibility criteria. The division bench of Chief Justice Hemant Gupta and Justice S K Gangele while issuing the interim order considered the order passed by the Supreme Court on March 20, 2017 on petitions raising similar issue. The Supreme Court said set the matter be listed for final hearing on March 31, 2017.

As per the Madhya Pradesh High Court the writ petitioners and the intervenors in the Court will be permitted to fill up the forms. The Central Board of Secondary Education, respondent no.4, will accept the forms of the writ petitioner. The court order stated that The challenge in the present writ petitions is to eligibility criteria for admission to MBBS course for which National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test, 2017 is being conducted. The challenge to the eligibility criteria is before the Supreme Court as well in Writ Petition (s) (Civil) No.99/2017 whereby the Supreme Court has passed the following order on March 20, 2017. “Let the matter be listed for final hearing on March 31, 2017.